Tucker Carlson’s legal team sent the network, which dismissed him last month, a scathing letter on Tuesday, accusing it of fraud and contract violations that could warrant legal action.
Axios first reported that the document challenges the noncompete clause in Carlson’s contract, which, if voided, would enable the star to develop a new show or media initiative independent of Fox. The letter, written by attorney Bryan Freedman and addressed to Fox officials Viet Dinh and Irene Briganti, asserted that Fox had breached its contract with Tucker Carlson, allowing him to launch a new media venture. According to Axios, Freedman alleged that Fox staff, including “Rupert Murdoch himself,” reneged on commitments made to Carlson intentionally and with reckless disregard for the truth.
Fox violated a promise to Carlson not to disclose his private communications to the press or use them to take adverse employment action against him, according to the letter and the outlet.
During the discovery phase of the case between Dominion Voting Systems and Fox, several of Carlson’s texts containing disparaging remarks about the company’s management were uncovered. In other messages, Carlson criticized former president Trump, stating, “I despise him with a burning passion.” Some media agencies have speculated that Carlson’s assaults on Fox’s leadership in these communications affected his dismissal.
The letter asserts that Fox violated an agreement not to resolve the litigation with Dominion “in a manner that would imply wrongdoing” by Carlson in the drama. Two sources told Axios that a Fox board member informed Carlson that his position was eliminated as a condition of the Dominion settlement.
Carlson also announced on Tuesday that he would produce content for Twitter in the future, suggesting a new collaboration with Elon Musk, who has pledged to defend free speech on the social media platform. Sources informed Axios that Carlson’s attorneys sent the letter to Fox before he debuted his Twitter series.
Carlson said in a video monologue reminiscent of the ones he used to air on Fox at 8 p.m. that starting soon, he would be bringing a new version of the show he has been doing for the last six and a half years to Twitter. Carlson also, some additional items will also be brought to the Twitter show. Carlson also advised that he was simply grateful to be there, adding that free communication is the most important privilege you possess; without it, there are no alternatives.
Carlson has received offers from conservative media outlets and personalities, including Glenn Beck at The Blaze and Jeremy Boering at The Daily Wire. At present, it appears the commentator will have a Twitter presence, presumably with Musk’s approval.