LEE’S SUMMIT, Mo. – A person sustained injuries in an explosion and subsequent structure fire at Rising Star Ranch in Lee’s Summit early Saturday morning. The Lee’s Summit Fire Department received the call around 1:37 a.m. and responded to the blaze at the horse boarding stable located at 2807 NW Chipman Road.
Upon arrival, fire crews encountered heavy flames at a utility trailer and a small one-story home, which was partially collapsed. The occupants of the home had already evacuated, and one individual was injured and transported to a nearby hospital. No further information about the patient’s condition was immediately available.
Firefighters adopted a defensive approach in extinguishing the fire, focusing on attacking the blaze from the outside while ensuring a nearby utility building remained shielded from damage. By 3:12 a.m., the fire was under control, and no animals on the ranch were harmed or in danger.
The Lee’s Summit Fire Department revealed that the fire was attributed to a propane space heater and originated in a bedroom of the home. The Missouri State Fire Marshal’s Office is aiding in the investigation of the fire’s origin.
If you have any information about this incident, you may contact your local police department directly. For the option to remain anonymous, you can reach out to the Greater Kansas City Crime Stoppers Tips Hotline by calling 816-474-TIPS (8477), submitting the tip online, or through the free mobile app at P3Tips.com. Crime Stoppers may offer a cash reward for valuable tips.
Annual homicide details and data for the Kansas City area are accessible through the KSHB 41 News Homicide Tracker, a resource launched in 2015. Read the KSHB 41 News Mug Shot Policy for more information.
This incident serves as a reminder of the potential dangers posed by propane space heaters and the importance of cautious usage. The prompt response and efforts of the fire department prevented the blaze from causing further destruction, demonstrating the crucial role of emergency responders in safeguarding the community.