Murder Suspect: Cromwell Mother Charged After Child Found in Connecticut River

CROMWELL, CT – A mother from Cromwell, Connecticut is facing serious charges, including murder, after fleeing the scene of a crash that involved her young daughter. The daughter was later found unresponsive in the Connecticut River, police have reported.

The Cromwell Police Department arrested 24-year-old Devoni Miller in connection with the crash on September 11, charging her with risk of injury to a child, second-degree reckless endangerment, evading responsibilities with injuries, and reckless driving. She was later turned over to the Connecticut State Police on an active arrest warrant. Following a lengthy state police investigation, Miller was also charged with further offenses including murder, first-degree reckless endangerment, interfering with an emergency call, reckless driving, and more.

According to reports, the crash occurred when Miller allegedly fled the scene after being involved in a collision and continued driving, eventually leading to her entering the Connecticut River with her young child. Witnesses reported a series of disturbing actions from Miller, including attempts to prevent others from calling for help and concerning statements made after the crash.

The child, later identified as 2-year-old Deroyal Miller, was eventually found unresponsive in the Connecticut River and pronounced dead after being taken to Middlesex Hospital. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner later ruled her death as a homicide, citing drowning and blunt force trauma as contributing factors.

Multiple witnesses, including family members and coworkers, provided accounts of concerning behavior from Miller in the days leading up to the incident. These accounts included reports of erratic behavior, disinterest in her child, and strange statements made about the child prior to the crash.

Miller has since been held in custody in lieu of a $1 million court-set bond and is awaiting further legal proceedings. The case remains under investigation as law enforcement officials continue to piece together the events of that tragic day in September.