DSU shooting suspects arrested in connection to death of Camay De Silva

Dover, Delaware’s community was shaken when 18-year-old Camay De Silva tragically lost her life in a shooting incident at Delaware State University. De Silva, an innocent visitor to the campus, became a victim of gun violence following an unrelated altercation near a residential hall.

In a press conference held by Dover police two weeks after the incident, Chief Thomas Johnson identified two Dover men, Destry Jones and Damien Hinson, arrested in connection with De Silva’s death. Jones, apprehended in Brooklyn, awaits extradition on multiple charges, including murder, while Hinson was taken into custody in a parking lot in Dover.

The tragic events unfolded in the early hours of a Sunday morning, with De Silva being shot just outside Warren Franklin Residential Hall. Dover police responded to reports of shots fired at Gate 3 along College Road, while university police were alerted to a fight on campus. De Silva was found with a fatal gunshot wound shortly after.

According to police, Jones and Hinson were involved in a physical altercation outside a building before firing the shots that took De Silva’s life. The state prosecutor, Dan Logan, vowed to pursue justice diligently, with witnesses playing a crucial role in piecing together the case.

De Silva, a New Jersey native with aspirations in cybersecurity, had plans to complete a degree in computer science at Delaware State University. Her untimely death prompted a virtual community forum and a campus vigil in her honor. University President Tony Allen expressed sorrow over the loss and promised to commemorate De Silva during the upcoming commencement ceremony.

As the Dover community mourns the loss of a promising young life, the pursuit of justice continues as Jones and Hinson face charges of first-degree murder, attempted murder, and firearm offenses. The impact of De Silva’s tragic death resonates deeply, reminding everyone of the devastating consequences of gun violence.