Police said the threat was unfounded after officers responded to the zoo Saturday.
ATLANTA, Ga. — A bomb threat led Zoo Atlanta to evacuate guests, members and staff Saturday afternoon before Atlanta police determined the call was false, officials said.
The evacuation brought officers to the Grant Park zoo and moved people out of parts of the property during a precautionary safety response. Atlanta police said about 5:45 p.m. that the report was false. Zoo Atlanta said law enforcement confirmed the grounds were safe.
The response was visible near Savanna Hall, where people were seen standing outside after the evacuation. A zoo employee said certain parts of the property had been cleared as officers investigated. Zoo Atlanta said it received the bomb threat late in the afternoon and chose to evacuate everyone on zoo grounds out of caution.
Zoo Atlanta said the incident may have been tied to a broader pattern of unsubstantiated threats reported at organizations around the United States in recent weeks. Officials did not say Saturday whether the zoo had received similar threats before, and police did not release information about the caller or the method used to make the threat.
The incident affected visitors during weekend operations at one of Atlanta’s major family destinations. The zoo said all members, guests and zoo team members were safely evacuated. No public statement from police or the zoo reported injuries or damage.
The case remained with law enforcement after the property was cleared. Police did not immediately say whether detectives were tracing the call, reviewing records or seeking charges. No arrest was announced in the first public update.
By Saturday evening, officials said the immediate safety concern had ended. The next public milestone is any follow-up from Atlanta police or Zoo Atlanta on the investigation and normal operations.
Author note: Last updated May 17, 2026.