Muncie Man Charged After Woman Killed, Two Men Shot

Police say the shooting followed a domestic dispute and left three children found in poor conditions inside a home.

MUNCIE, Ind. — A 21-year-old Muncie man faces murder, attempted murder and other charges after police say he fatally shot his girlfriend and wounded two men who stopped to help her during a confrontation May 10.

Rylynn J. Davis was arrested shortly after the shooting in the 2700 block of South Walnut Street, a south-side area with homes and industrial properties. Cheyenne Angelina Raines, 23, died at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital. Two men who police say stopped in a pickup truck after seeing the confrontation were also shot.

Officers were called about 5:30 p.m. and found three people shot outside the home, according to court records described by investigators. A passerby had detained Davis before police arrived. Witnesses told officers that Davis had been dragging Raines down the sidewalk by her feet as she screamed. When two men in a Dodge pickup stopped and confronted him, police said, Davis opened fire.

Investigators said nearby surveillance video showed Davis striking Raines in the face and pulling her along the sidewalk. Audio from the system captured several gunshots moments after the pickup arrived. One wounded man, 40, was airlifted in critical condition to IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. Another man, 39, was taken to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital with several gunshot wounds to the abdomen.

Court records say the conflict began two days earlier, on May 8, when Raines told Davis she was leaving him. Police said Davis told investigators that Raines was trying to leave for a second time in three days. He also told officers he was “protecting himself,” according to reports on the probable-cause affidavit. Davis denied intentionally shooting Raines, police said.

Charges filed against Davis include murder, attempted murder, two counts of aggravated battery, kidnapping, criminal confinement, criminal recklessness, domestic battery resulting in serious bodily injury, neglect of a dependent, pointing a firearm and misdemeanor domestic battery. He was taken to the Delaware County Jail and was being held without bond.

Police said officers also found three children, ages 2 months, 2 and 3, locked inside a bedroom at the home. Investigators described the room as being in deplorable condition and said the children were covered in dirt and feces. The neglect charge was filed after that discovery, according to police accounts of the case.

Davis has an initial hearing scheduled for 9 a.m. May 27 in Delaware Circuit Court 1. Prosecutors are expected to outline the formal case as investigators continue reviewing witness statements, medical records and surveillance evidence from the scene.

Author note: Last updated Thursday, May 21, 2026.