A 14-year-old was shot after entering a vacant Pleasant Grove house, police said.
DALLAS, Texas — A witness photo of a license plate helped Dallas police arrest a 66-year-old man accused of shooting at two teenagers Tuesday evening in Pleasant Grove.
Police said Victor Burnett opened fire after two teens entered a vacant newly built home. One boy, 14, was struck by a shotgun round and ran about a quarter mile home, where his family called 911.
The other teen, 15, was not shot. He told police he and his friend were inside the house when Burnett entered and they heard a gunshot. He said they jumped from a bedroom window and ran. Police said the injured boy was later taken to a children’s hospital.
Burnett was seen leaving the area in a green Dodge pickup, according to police records cited by FOX 4. A witness photographed the truck’s license plate, and police said a Flock camera soon detected the vehicle nearby. Officers stopped Burnett on Jim Miller Road and took him into custody.
Investigators said Burnett had a shotgun and a stolen pistol. He was charged with multiple counts of aggravated assault and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. Police said his prior record made it illegal for him to have a gun.
The case raised questions about the vacant Pleasant Grove property and Burnett’s role there. The builder told FOX 4 that Burnett had been contracted for security or mowing. The company did not say whether he was authorized to protect the home.
Burnett told police that young people had been repeatedly entering vacant homes in the area, according to an arrest warrant affidavit. Investigators have not said that the teens were armed. The boy’s condition was described as recovering.
Author note: Last updated May 22, 2026.