A bystander was wounded, and President Trump was not hurt.
WASHINGTON — A 21-year-old man was fatally shot Saturday evening after officials said he opened fire on a U.S. Secret Service checkpoint outside the White House, prompting officers to return fire and briefly locking down the complex.
The shooting happened near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, close to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Secret Service officials said President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time but was not harmed. A bystander was also hit by gunfire, and investigators had not said whose bullet struck that person.
The suspect was identified by law enforcement sources as Nasire Best, 21. Officials said he approached the checkpoint shortly after 6 p.m., removed a weapon from a bag and fired toward posted officers. Secret Service officers returned fire, striking Best. He was taken to George Washington University Hospital, where he died. No Secret Service personnel were wounded, officials said.
Law enforcement sources said Best used a revolver and fired several shots toward a security booth. Early estimates of the number of shots varied, with sources describing roughly 15 to 30 rounds during the exchange. Reporters on the White House North Lawn said they heard gunfire and were moved inside by security officers. A lockdown was lifted shortly before 7 p.m.
Best had been known to the Secret Service before Saturday’s shooting, according to officials familiar with the investigation. Sources said he had a prior encounter with the agency in July 2025 after trying to enter the White House without authorization. Court and law enforcement accounts said he was arrested near the complex and later sent for a mental health evaluation. Officials also said a stay-away order had been issued before the latest incident.
Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said the agency was investigating reports of shots fired and working with personnel at the scene. FBI Director Kash Patel said the FBI was assisting the Secret Service. Senior congressional leaders, including Senate Majority Leader John Thune and House Speaker Mike Johnson, praised the officers’ response after the shooting.
Trump posted early Sunday that the gunman had a violent history and a possible obsession with the White House. He thanked the Secret Service for what he called a swift and professional response. Officials have not released a full account of Best’s movements before the shooting, how he reached the checkpoint or whether he acted alone.
The shooting came during a period of heightened concern around presidential security. Officials said it followed other recent gunfire incidents near events involving Trump or the White House area. Investigators were reviewing the scene, witness accounts, video and Best’s prior contacts with law enforcement.
The investigation remained active Sunday. Officials had not released the bystander’s name or condition, and the Secret Service had not said when it would issue a fuller timeline.
Author note: Last updated May 24, 2026.